Happy New Year! I have a new year intention (I don’t do resolutions, too much pressure) to have a studio clear out and tidy up. As a first step, I decided to replace my water pots for use in classes. Inexpensive Ikea smoked glasses caught my eye – stable and weighty, perfect! Of course, I couldn’t just leave them unadorned…
A little work on some typography, vinyl cutting on my Silhouette and a generous dollop of Armor Etch and my etched brush pots are complete. One features a caution symbol and ‘contains paint’, specifically targeted at one of my studio guests who can mistake her glass of water for the painty water pot. Another has the steps required for cleaning a brush. The third has all the words I could find in the thesaurus connected with cleaning a brush. And the fourth has phrases playing around with the whole brush pot concept, such as ‘clean brush, cloudy water’ and ‘colours in suspense’.
Bearing this in mind, tidying the studio is going to take forever if at each point I have an idea I then implement, making a mess in the process…
My pen has been busy on paper, and there are three more patterns on their way using block arrows as their basis. These do depart from the zentangle ‘rules’ about tangle patterns, but I still reckon they are worth using. I am slightly biased though… Here’s the next tangle pattern in my series:
This is a BOGOF design – two motifs are melded together. Either would work on their own as a repeating pattern with no problem. I’ve drawn the sample en pointe as I think it looks better.
I’ve been playing, designing three new tangle patterns in the process based on the archetypal block arrow. The first tangle pattern is a simple cross pattern – the next two are a little more complex. As always, shading does make quite a difference to the finished design.
I’ve had fun creating my cuboidroids, and as my confidence has grown so have my modelling skills. The third cuboidroid in my series is perhaps the most whimsical to date… ‘will you be mine?’
The arms took a fair number of prototypes to get right, as did the ‘hands’. I eventually settled on the hexagonal shape and added the internal thread. This will give me the opportunity to add props using bolts that screw in. I’ve also added extra elements to reinforce the droid bits:
Now I’ve done the prototypes, I need to perfect the smoothing of the various components, perfect the paint jobs and come up with more characterisations. Not much then…
Another in my series of mini-characters is this unsure cuboidroid with a faux brushed steel finish. By combining various paints and varnishes, the dulled patina plays against the satin clean metal. I am amazed at how small an expression is required to anthropomorphise an otherwise inanimate/non-human object.
This little chap/ess is available to purchase – do contact me if you’re interested. Previous characters are here.