This next card on the seaside/nautical theme is again designed by Sam Poole and part of the Creative Expressions Singles range. ‘Lighthouse’ includes both the image and sentiment. I wanted to highlight the light element of the sentiment and image, so used a dark background to highlight the iridescent pigments and white opaque pens. This created a colouring challenge, as you need to take account of the dark background and the layering of dye based colour in the distress markers. I’m actually quite pleased how well it matched my internal image!
You will need:
Creative Expressions Singles Stamp: Lighthouse
Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder: True White Detail
Cosmic Shimmer Mica Sparkle Pigments: Angel Dust Sparkle
Cosmic Shimmer Specialist Acrylic Glue
Foundations A4 Card: Cobalt / Black
Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black
Ranger Perfect Medium Pad: Clear
Ranger Distress Markers: Pumice Stone / Worn Lipstick / Faded Jeans / Picket Fence
Ranger Tim Holtz Waterbrush Pen: Fine tip
Ranger Inkssentials White Opaque Pen
- Cut a square of Cobalt card 12cm x 12cm and stamp the lighthouse image onto it using the Jet Black Archival Ink.
- Colour in the lighthouse with the Worn Lipstick and Pumice Stone Distress Markers.
- Pick out some of the mica pigment powder from the pot with the tip of your brush and mix it into a paint on a non-stick surface. Brush it onto the image, following and adding to the light ‘rays’ and into the lamp and windows on the side. Add waves and highlights to the wet rocks at the bottom of the image. If you need to, spread the pigment thinner with a clean wet brush.
- Add contrast around the lighthouse by picking up colour from the Faded Jeans pen tip onto the water brush and then paint away from the edge of the lighthouse, fading the colour as it dilutes..
- Once all the paint is dry, add more white with the Picket Fence Distress Marker (goes on clear, whitens as it dries) and highlights with the Inkssentials opaque white pen.
- Mat onto a 12.5cm square piece of black card using the Cosmic Shimmer glue.
- Stamp and emboss the sentiment onto another piece of Cobalt card, cut to shape and mat onto black card.
- Mount onto the cardstock of your choice and you’re done.