As I mentioned last week, I’ve been playing with some crackle effect mediums over the past months. Last week I showed you the two-step Craquelure, new from Cosmic Shimmer. This week: Cosmic Shimmer Crackle Glaze. This is a single step crackle medium which you paint over the base colour which forms the crack colour. The top coat is then painted over the top when dry in the opposite direction, and in the colour that will be cracking. Here’s the result when Antique Linen Distress Paint is cracked over Cosmic Shimmer Mulled Wine Matt Chalk Paint.
You will need:
Creative Expressions Singles Stamp Set: Floral Spray
Creative Expressions Singles Stamp Set: Earthenware Vase
Cosmic Shimmer Matt Chalk Paint: Mulled Wine
Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Wax: Vintage Plum
Cosmic Shimmer Crackle Glaze
Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Drawing Ink: Meadow Lime, Magenta Flame
Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder: Tropic Violet Lustre
Cosmic Shimmer Specialist Acrylic Glue
Foundations A4 Card: Coconut White / Milk / Amethyst
Pronty MDF Heart 13cm
Ranger Distress Paint: Antique Linen
Ranger Perfect Medium Ink Pad: Clear
- Paint the MDF heart with two layers of Mulled Wine Matt Chalk Paint and allow to dry completely – remember to cover the edges with this and following layers.
- Add a layer of the Cosmic Shimmer Crackle Glaze, with vertical brush strokes and allow to dry.
- Add a layer of the Antique Linen Distress Ink – squeeze a little out onto a craft sheet and brush over horizontally. Don’t overbrush any areas as this will affect the final crackle. Allow to dry, and you’ll see the crackle effect develop almost immediately.
- Once completely dry, rub over the heart with the Vintage Plum Gilding Wax, working it into the cracks and bare areas, before buffing with a cloth.
- Now stamp the flower bunch stamp twice and the rose once onto the Coconut White card using Perfect Medium and then emboss with the Tropic Violet Lustre embossing powder.
- Paint the flowers using the Acrylic Drawing Inks, drying and layering the ink to get deeper shapes where required.
- Fussy cut round the images and mount them onto the heart using foam pads. Tie off with ribbon bow.
- Stamp the sentiment from the Earthenware Vase set onto Coconut White card and emboss with the Tropic Violet Lustre embossing powder.
- Mat onto Milk and then the Amethyst card using the Cosmic Shimmer Glue, and stick onto the heart with the same glue to complete the project.