Every now and then I’m asked to work on specific projects under a publication embargo – so the blog goes quiet as I’m furiously working but can’t show you anything 🙁
Today’s post is an example of such projects – they feature the Cordoba die cut set from Creative Expressions, designed by Sue Wilson. Sue herself has approved their publication, which is around a month after I made them, so apologies if I don’t quite remember all the steps!
Creative Expressions have produced a fantastic range of dies and stamps by Sue Wilson – I’ve been given the Spanish inspired design ‘Cordoba’ to play with. This card is the first I produced with the three piece die set.
You will need:
Creative Expressions Cordoba Die Set
Creative Expressions Singles Set of 2 stamps: Perfect Poppy
Creative Expressions Self Adhesive Pearls: Cream (3mm & 5mm)
Cosmic Shimmer Specialist Acrylic Glue
Foundations A4 card: Rich Plum / Milk
Ranger Perfect Medium Pad: Clear
Ranger Distress Ink Pad: Seedless Preserves
- Die cut the middle die twice from the Rich Plum card. Mount one onto your card using foam pads. Cut the leaf corners from the second, and stick to the card using Cosmic Shimmer Glue, as shown.
- Die cut the large frame die from the Milk card and emboss. Cut out the centre round the inner embossed line. Mount onto the previous layer with foam pads.
- Die cut the inner oval frame from Milk card and mount in the centre of the card with foam pads. Repeat, this time embossing and then trimming off the border to make the sentiment mount. Edge with Seedless Preserves Distress Ink and stamp with the sentiment from the Perfect Poppy set in the same colour. Mount on the card with foam pads.
- Finally, cut a strip of Rich Plum card 1cm wide for the bottom border and embellish with the self-adhesive pearls, or use Cosmic Shimmer Pearlescent PVA.
– – – = – – –
This frame is inspired by the colours in the Cordoba Mosque, rich blues and golds. The image in the background is a doorway in that very mosque. The frame itself is built up with 5mm foamboard, with the die cut pieces layered over, and thin strips of card pushed round to cover over the thickness of the board. Finally I shaped real brass sheet round the whole thing to create the outer frame.
You will need:
Creative Expressions Cordoba die set
Creative Expressions Woven Leaves Pre Cut Stamp
Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder: Bright Gold Metallic
Foundations A4 Card: Cobalt
Ranger Perfect Medium Ink Pad: Clear
Walnut Hollow Metal Roll: Brass
- Cut a sheet of the Cobalt card in half to make two A5 pieces.
- Stamp the Woven Leaves onto one using the Perfect Medium, cover with the embossing powder, tap off the excess and heat set. When cool, cut out the centre.
- Using the large frame, die cut the second card piece to make the dotty frame.
- Cut a piece of foamboard to A5 size and mount your choice of image onto it. Make a border of foamboard around 1cm wide, and then mount the embossed card sheet onto the top.
- Repeat the border on this layer, and before sticking on the dotty frame, cover the thickness with a strip of the Cobalt card, gluing into place with the Cosmic Shimmer Glue.
- Add the dotty layer, and then a final border.
- Carefully wrap pieces of the brass sheet round the whole frame from the internal edge round the top and wrapping it to the back. You may find it helpful to use high tack double sided tape to secure it in place.