Welcome to another of my weekly posts for Creative Expressions. We’re still working with the Winter Flowers stamp set and this time I have used it as a centrepiece for a mosaic frame. The frame is made of MDF, covered with card and available as a two piece kit for maximum flexibility. I’ve made the mosaic ’tiles’ from card misted with Cosmic Shimmer Vintage colours. For more making details, read on 🙂
You will need:
Creative Expressions Winter Flowers unmounted stamp set
Cosmic Shimmer Vintage Mist: Egyptian Blue, Marigold
Cosmic Shimmer Embossing Powder: Ancient Copper Metallic
Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue
Pronty MDF 3D Frame 205x255mm
Foundations Card: Milk/Teal/Dark Roast Coffee
Ranger Perfect Medium: Clear
- Cover the frame with Milk card, sticking it down with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue. There is just enough width to turn the edges over the corners of the frame. Cut out the centre aperture leaving tabs, and turn down and glue to the reverse. Set aside to dry.
- Place the back section of the frame onto a sheet of Milk card and cut round it. Score a line along each of the four sides 1.5cm deep. Snip the corners to make tabs. Stick into the well ensuring the tabs go behind the adjacent sides. Fold down the overlap and stick down with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue. Set aside to dry.
- Meanwhile, mist a half sheet of Teal card with Vintage Egyptian Blue, and a half sheet of Dark Coffee Roast card with Vintage Marigold and allow to dry.
- Once both sections of frame are dry, use Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue to stick them together to reform the now covered frame.
- Cut the dry misted card into 13mm/half inch squares (or use a punch if you have one) – they can be used shimmer side up or matt side up. Lay them out onto the frame to get the spacing right – you may find it helpful to do the corner sections first. When you’re happy with your layout, stick down each square with Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue.
- Print the winter rose stamp in clear Perfect Medium onto Dark Roast Coffee card and cover with Ancient Copper Metallic embossing powder. Tap off the excess and heat set. Repeat with just the flower area onto Milk card. Cut out both images.
- Print the plant label/sentiment in clear Perfect Medium onto Milk card and emboss as before.
- Mount on pieces of Milk card onto the shimmer covered offcuts of Teal/Dark Roast Coffee.
- Mount all pieces into the frame, using foam pads to add depth and layers.