I’m on another design team! Early in January I was selected to design for ‘The Crafting Cafe’, and they have just launched their challenge blog. For the ‘anything goes’ theme this month, I’ve used the fabulous ‘Tulips 1’ digi stamp from LEJ Designs. I’ve created two cards, the first using ProMarkers to colour, and the second with Distress Reinkers both on a bespoke background created with Distress Stain and kitchen salt:
1) BACKGROUND PAPER
I cut a large sheet of 300gsm watercolour paper to 12×12″ size, and misted it with water. I covered the whole page quickly with Peeled Paint Distress Stain and then spritzed it again with clean water to start to blend the colour. While still wet from the water mist, I then sprinkled sea salt crystals across the page (using a salt grinder) – the salt draws the water into the crystal, and with it the dye, resulting in the fabulous and unpredictable speckles. Leave to dry naturally and then cut to 3×3″ square. Mount on yellow Bazzil card cut to 3.2″ square.
2) PROMARKER VERSION
I used MS Word to set an A4 page to landscape, fitting in three copies of the original digi stamp image along the top, and then adding cropped versions of each flower head beneath so that I could decoupage the petals. Print the image onto your favourite card for use with ProMarkers (I use Ryman’s Bright White Coated Card 200gsm), preferably using a laser printer to avoid the outlines smudging later. Colour in using the following pens (light first, add next, finish covering all with first pen to blend):
- Yellows: Yellow / Canary / Sunflower
- Purples: Amethyst / Plum / Aubergine
- Reds: Poppy / Crimson / Burgundy
- Greens: Lime Green / Bright Green / Pear Green
I then cut out all the coloured images before running the appropriate colour pen round the cut edges to finish. I then stuck down the flowers, using double sided tape/glue for the first layer of flowers, and then mounting the individual petals (two either side for the large tulips and a single one for the small) on foam pads to add depth.
3) DISTRESS REINKER VERSION
This technique essentially uses distress reinkers as a watercolour. I used the same Word file I created above to print onto 190gsm watercolour paper (the lighter weight goes through the printer). Don’t be surprised if the laser toner doesn’t stick as well to the watercolour paper. I used the following colours, adding a couple of drops of each to a palette and then using a waterbrush to apply the paint. Remember the ‘paints’ will interact with one another, particularly if wet:
- Purples: Dusty Concord / Seedless Preserves
- Pinks: Worn Lipstick / Picked Raspberries
- Yellows: Squeezed Lemonade / Mustard Seed
- Greens: Peeled Paint / Mowed Grass
After allowing the inks to dry, I cut out the flowers and again coloured the cut edges using the appropriate colour of Distress Marker before mounting onto the card as before. The inks running into one another give great feathering but a little more practice is needed for a consistent result.
4) BONUS CARD! AQUAMARKERS
I was recently lucky enough to win a Letraset ‘surprise’ in their Facebook draw, and what arrived in the post was a set of six AquaMarkers. I took the opportunity to have a play with them, and used the same card set up as above for the Distress Reinkers, this time adding the colour using the AquaMarkers before moving them about with the water brush. I didn’t have a yellow, so added the pink instead:
- Purple: outline in Flamingo Pink, centre in Cranberry, blend with water brush
- Pink: outline in Rose Blush, centre in Flamingo Pink, blend with water brush
- Red: outline in Raspberry, pull to centre with water brush
- Green: stem and shadows with Citrus, blend with water brush
If you want to add deeper colour, dab on to the wet paper with the AquaMarker and let the ink feather on its own. You can blend with water at any point, even when dry, which is ideal for producing several cards at the same time. I liked them so much, I’ve ordered the entire colour range from Letraset… freebies do work as a marketing tool!
For colour reference for the tulips I found this image using Google Image Search: