It’s Day 2 of my online class, and we’re playing with stamps and inks to make backgrounds. In the main today was revising techniques I’ve previously come across, but always good to see them used in imaginative ways by the tutors and yank them back to the forefront of my memory! Here’s today’s highlights:
Lots of stripes, and not a stripe stamp in sight. What’s a man to do? Go find some funky foam and cut that into strips. Add a bit of removable double sided tape, and ta da, strippy stripy stamps and backgrounds 🙂
I also like the idea of working more on mid-tone cardstock. I remember in college working on a charcoal ground and getting on better – you can use light and dark shades to emphasise shape, form and, in this case, pattern. I’ve been doing some zentangling on Strathmore Toned Gray Artist’s Tiles and finding the same (more of that in another post).
I’m taking part in Online Card Classes’ Background Check, and it’s Day 1, and time to get inky! Some of the techniques aren’t new to me, but a couple are, and a great addition to my mixed media arsenal. Here are the highlights of this afternoon’s play:
I have to admit the cloud on the sunset was a happy accident – my not so low-tack tape happened to tear off my carefully blended area, so a little more ink and a cloud was born! The metallic like sheen on the purple image is also accidental – the Hero Art Ombré pads do seem to have an unpredictable effect when used direct to paper.
Challenge time again over at the ‘Less is More’ blog, and this week it’s the colour theme: they’ve used this fabulous picture from Design Seeds to define the colour scheme –
I decided to colour match the swatches using Versacolor small inkpads and came up with the following colours: Cement, Bisque, Khaki, Charcoal and Umber. They are close matches – as always with colour matching, each monitor, printer and eye is different resulting in all sorts of different interpretations. I also noted that the wet inks are significantly different to the dry…
But here’s my challenge entry – one of my favourite stamps (from Hero Arts I think) along with the label and sentiment from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous:
I inked all over with the Umber, before removing ink over the various plant parts using a tissue or wet wipe. I then carefully inked in with the other colours – the small ink pads come in handy. It would have been a one layer card, except I didn’t notice the first impression of the label had a filled in centre… overzealous inking with a new pad!
This card was chosen as one of the showcase ‘winners’ on the challenge blog 🙂