Art Journal Page: Brave Choice

This Monday, the art journal session at The Studio has the theme ‘perfect palettes’. For this journal prompt, I picked a colour chart from the ever fabulous design-seeds.com and did my best to match the palette. Of course, this was a little harder when printing out the image – the printer colours aren’t a good reproduction.

And here’s the resulting page (and don’t forget that the colours┬áchanged again when I scanned it in…). So the palette isn’t exact, but, as with all journal prompts, it’s what sparks the rest of the page. I also chose the theme to help those who struggle to know what colours might work together.

Continue reading

Art Journaling – a vivid quote

20140905_wI took some time out from the TV last night – mainly to stay awake – and worked on a page in my art journal. Inspired by this month’s art journal session, the text is outlined with Black Sakura Gelly Roll pen, painted in with Dr Ph Martin’s Bombay ink, and edged with blended and stencilled Distress Ink. And the blue streaks? Wayward Brusho crystals following a spillage last week – those darn crystals can travel!

I think I’d like the fill-in colour wash to be lighter so that the black text stands out more – the ink was already diluted 50-50 with water. The colour choice was based on a {design seeds} image – a fabulous site for when inspiration isn’t coming quite as quickly as you’d like:
ZinniaBrights

 

Continue reading

Colouring the way nature intended…

Challenge time again over at the ‘Less is More’ blog, and this week it’s the colour theme: they’ve used this fabulous picture from Design Seeds to define the colour scheme –

ThankfulTones

I decided to colour match the swatches using Versacolor small inkpads and came up with the following colours: Cement, Bisque, Khaki, Charcoal and Umber. They are close matches – as always with colour matching, each monitor, printer and eye is different resulting in all sorts of different interpretations. I also noted that the wet inks are significantly different to the dry…

But here’s my challenge entry – one of my favourite stamps (from Hero Arts I think) along with the label and sentiment from Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous:

With Love

I inked all over with the Umber, before removing ink over the various plant parts using a tissue or wet wipe. I then carefully inked in with the other colours – the small ink pads come in handy. It would have been a one layer card, except I didn’t notice the first impression of the label had a filled in centre… overzealous inking with a new pad!

Update: 16-Aug-13
This card was chosen as one of the showcase ‘winners’ on the challenge blog ­čÖé