One of the techniques taught in the Creative Chemistry 101 class with ‘Professor’ Holtz was a dabber resist – taking advantage of the fact that acrylic paint is waterproof when dry. Here’s a canvas I put together over the bank holiday weekend making use of the technique, and how I did it follow after.
I’ve just finished designing my fifth tag in my Twelve Tags for 2012 series. This one features a distress stain background using techniques I learnt on my recent Tim Holtz’s Creative Chemistry 101 course, as well as air dry clay Lily of the Valley flowers. I love it when a plan comes together – I couldn’t find a stamp that I liked enough, so this was Plan B and I am rather pleased with the outcome, even if I do say so myself! I’ll be demonstrating how to make it and an accompanying card at the Manic Stamper Craft Club on 21st April. Instructions on how to make the tag are now available here.
It’s a sad day – the last of the lessons at Creative Chemistry. Only the bloopers video to go tomorrow and a few more days on the forums and we say a fond farewell to the Professor. I have a feeling he’ll be back though! It’s been a cracking class and thoroughly enjoyable, although however it’s dressed up, just having a one tag finale was a bit of a damp squib! And the Rock Candy Distress Stickles doesn’t even show up very well on the scan 🙁
The notes on sealing and protecting your work were brilliant though. And if you’re going to be applying Distress Stickles across whole cards or tags, they’d better bring out a bigger pot!
So we reach the penultimate teaching day of the fabulous Creative Chemistry, and Professor Tim is working his alchemy with Distress Inks and Perfect Pearls. I’m used to using Perfect Pearls in my own misting mixtures and love the effect of the Blue Patina mixed with Spiced Marmalade – a really nice faux rust finish. Mixing it up even more with the wrinkle free distress technique has resulted in a textural happy accident!
Today we looked at a ‘Paint Primer’ – and I discovered a number of Snow Cap dabbers that were solid… and I only have the Rock Candy (clear) Crackle Distress paint. But I persevered and here are my homework tags:
I’m not sure about the acrylic resist on canvas in the centre – it really didn’t work out well, and I suspect I need more contrast on the background to make the yellow and pink dots stand out more. The Shattered Stains technique though is going to become a favourite!
At first I thought I’d have to skip Day 6 – Distress Markers – as I haven’t yet received my order I put in using my birthday funds. But then I remembered I had three pens from a workshop with the Professor himself back in February! Here’s two of the technique tags:
I used the coated card stock I usually use for ProMarkers in place of the speciality stamping paper, and though I can’t directly compare, from the description given during class, it seems to do the same thing. It’s the Ryman Bright White Coated Card 200gsm.
There… I’ve just finished catching up with my CC101 homework and done the tags for today, Day 7 – embossing powders. The first tag uses clear embossing powder over multicolour distress ink stamped images as a faux batik effect – it resists the layers of distress over the top. Second tag shows my favourite technique – faux rusted enamel. And finally using distress embossing powder as a resist – I love the matte finish.