I’ve previously made a ‘book’, to hold various ephemera, as a leaving present for the minister of my previous church. So when it came to putting together another bespoke binder for prayer flags, a photo book and collected digital photos, I built on my previous project and created a faux leather effect ‘book’.
The ‘book’ is just about the size of a sheet of A4 and about 1½” deep. Constructed from 2mm greyboard and 5mm foamcore board, the canvas cover is painted with a mix of rose madder and burnt sienna acrylic paints to resemble worn leather. The spine text is pressed in with an embossing tool to give an impression of embossed foiling, whilst the frontplate uses careful shading to achieve the same effect.
Used in this project:
- 2mm greyboard (Creativ Company)
- 5mm foamcore board (WHSmith)
- Craft Canvas (Woodware)
- WHSmith acrylic paints: Rose Madder / Burnt Sienna / Gold / Copper
- DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Metallic Gold
- Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen: Cool Grey III
- Lightscribe CD
- Classic K Margo Vintage Typography Collage Flat Paper (K&Co)